We invite you to discover the roots that anchor us and the milestones that have shaped our identity
Athletic sports club has a proud history, having celebrated its 75th Jubilee in 2014.
The story of the black and white strips began back in 1939, when several interested locals discussed the possibility of forming a new rugby team by amalgamating some of the lesser teams in the local competition.
A meeting for the purpose of forming a new rugby football club from Old Boys, Pirates and Waiau club’s was held in the St. Andrew’s Hall on Monday, March 20, 1939. Finally, after much discussion, a motion by Mr R. Powdrell and seconded by Mr J. Harvey was put to the meeting and carried unanimously - “That a new club be formed from the three old clubs”. So began a rather vigorous discussion around a new name for the club and eventually four were suggested: City, Wairoa, United and Athletic. A clear-cut majority of those present voted for the name Athletic, and thus the new club became the Athletic Rugby Football Club. The dress of the new club teams also caused some considerable discussion and after many suggestions the club colours became a black and white hooped jersey and stockings, with black pants. The new club started its first season that year with one senior team, two junior teams and two third grade teams. A great deal of the credit must go to R. Powdrell. He was the first seniors coach who moulded the side basically made up of junior players from three different clubs, into a very competitive and successful team.
Despite the enthusiasm of that first season, the club’s activities were hindered throughout the period of the War. However, by the mid 1940s the club was fielding senior teams again and won the competition in 1949.
An old boxing shed, affectionately known as “the red shed” was used for the club’s first changing rooms, social gatherings and some meetings. It was situated at Lambton Square on the right of the present-day entrance as you enter the grounds, under a group of trees that still stand today. Athletic shared the building with the boxing club whose trainer Mr H. Murdoch was a strong supporter of Athletic. He eventually became a life member. Amongst others to use “the red shed” were the Wairoa and District highland pipe band. From all accounts many a fine time was had during the era of “the red shed”
By 1955 the goal of achieving a fit for purpose club house for Athletic was becoming a reality with a building shifted from Kaitawa near Lake Waikaremoana and repurposed at Lambton Square. It took many years of working bees and fundraising to achieve the goal with M E.Vaughan putting in his 1959 presidents report that “A club house is the greatest asset of any club”.
The next year the club celebrated its 21st Anniversary and the following decade saw great success for the Athletic teams. But with the growth of the club, it was soon identified that bigger facilities were needed. Bill Meek reported at a committee meeting that considerable maintenance was required on the Lambton Square Pavilion, while Mr Frank Tebbutt club treasurer felt successful club fundraising could allow them to aim for new clubrooms. The club subsequently became an Incorporated Body and ten hectares of land was purchased at the club’s current Rutherford site in 1972. Then began the incredible task of building a multi-sport facility, including squash courts, which remains the club’s base today.
The new club was officially opened on July 19, 1975. Hawkes Bay MP at the time Mr J. Harrison officially opened the complex, by unlocking the door and then a social hour followed where guests viewed the facilities and were treated to champagne and wine. There were also games of squash demonstrated with the opportunity for intending players to enrol. The evening was celebrated with a ball in the new club lounge.
The year 1989 was set to be massive milestone for Athletic with its 50th Jubilee celebrations. A committee lead by B MacKay worked tirelessly to achieve the perfect celebration – and it was exactly that with hundreds of past and present members coming together for a weekend of fun.
Throughout the 90s the squash and hockey codes continued to thrive, while senior rugby experienced a lull before a resurgence again in 1998. As the club entered the 2000s women’s netball was now on offer and squash joined the NZ Squash Association as numbers continued to grow.
In 2011, Rugby made the decision to switch to the Poverty Bay competition and won the senior one division, also going on to win the Sport Hawke’s Bay team of the year. Football also took out the Poverty Bay 3rd division earning promotion to the 2nd division for their next season. Junior rugby won 2 of the 3 divisions Athletic had teams in.
A massive community effort was undertaken in 2012 after two wet winters had resulted in Athletic rugby having to play their home games at Lambton Square. It was decided that a drainage programme was the only way to rectify this. The club received incredible local support with the donation of funds, equipment and man-power and the result was well worth the effort.
The club celebrated another milestone in 2014 with its 75th Jubilee, which was again a fun-filled event for past and current members.
The past decade has seen continual growth for all codes particularly Junior Rugby and the resurgence of women’s netball in 2022.
The ongoing resilience and adaptability of the club has current members incredibly excited to see what the future holds.
The story of the black and white strips began back in 1939, when several interested locals discussed the possibility of forming a new rugby team by amalgamating some of the lesser teams in the local competition.
A meeting for the purpose of forming a new rugby football club from Old Boys, Pirates and Waiau club’s was held in the St. Andrew’s Hall on Monday, March 20, 1939. Finally, after much discussion, a motion by Mr R. Powdrell and seconded by Mr J. Harvey was put to the meeting and carried unanimously - “That a new club be formed from the three old clubs”. So began a rather vigorous discussion around a new name for the club and eventually four were suggested: City, Wairoa, United and Athletic. A clear-cut majority of those present voted for the name Athletic, and thus the new club became the Athletic Rugby Football Club. The dress of the new club teams also caused some considerable discussion and after many suggestions the club colours became a black and white hooped jersey and stockings, with black pants. The new club started its first season that year with one senior team, two junior teams and two third grade teams. A great deal of the credit must go to R. Powdrell. He was the first seniors coach who moulded the side basically made up of junior players from three different clubs, into a very competitive and successful team.
Despite the enthusiasm of that first season, the club’s activities were hindered throughout the period of the War. However, by the mid 1940s the club was fielding senior teams again and won the competition in 1949.
An old boxing shed, affectionately known as “the red shed” was used for the club’s first changing rooms, social gatherings and some meetings. It was situated at Lambton Square on the right of the present-day entrance as you enter the grounds, under a group of trees that still stand today. Athletic shared the building with the boxing club whose trainer Mr H. Murdoch was a strong supporter of Athletic. He eventually became a life member. Amongst others to use “the red shed” were the Wairoa and District highland pipe band. From all accounts many a fine time was had during the era of “the red shed”
By 1955 the goal of achieving a fit for purpose club house for Athletic was becoming a reality with a building shifted from Kaitawa near Lake Waikaremoana and repurposed at Lambton Square. It took many years of working bees and fundraising to achieve the goal with M E.Vaughan putting in his 1959 presidents report that “A club house is the greatest asset of any club”.
The next year the club celebrated its 21st Anniversary and the following decade saw great success for the Athletic teams. But with the growth of the club, it was soon identified that bigger facilities were needed. Bill Meek reported at a committee meeting that considerable maintenance was required on the Lambton Square Pavilion, while Mr Frank Tebbutt club treasurer felt successful club fundraising could allow them to aim for new clubrooms. The club subsequently became an Incorporated Body and ten hectares of land was purchased at the club’s current Rutherford site in 1972. Then began the incredible task of building a multi-sport facility, including squash courts, which remains the club’s base today.
The new club was officially opened on July 19, 1975. Hawkes Bay MP at the time Mr J. Harrison officially opened the complex, by unlocking the door and then a social hour followed where guests viewed the facilities and were treated to champagne and wine. There were also games of squash demonstrated with the opportunity for intending players to enrol. The evening was celebrated with a ball in the new club lounge.
The year 1989 was set to be massive milestone for Athletic with its 50th Jubilee celebrations. A committee lead by B MacKay worked tirelessly to achieve the perfect celebration – and it was exactly that with hundreds of past and present members coming together for a weekend of fun.
Throughout the 90s the squash and hockey codes continued to thrive, while senior rugby experienced a lull before a resurgence again in 1998. As the club entered the 2000s women’s netball was now on offer and squash joined the NZ Squash Association as numbers continued to grow.
In 2011, Rugby made the decision to switch to the Poverty Bay competition and won the senior one division, also going on to win the Sport Hawke’s Bay team of the year. Football also took out the Poverty Bay 3rd division earning promotion to the 2nd division for their next season. Junior rugby won 2 of the 3 divisions Athletic had teams in.
A massive community effort was undertaken in 2012 after two wet winters had resulted in Athletic rugby having to play their home games at Lambton Square. It was decided that a drainage programme was the only way to rectify this. The club received incredible local support with the donation of funds, equipment and man-power and the result was well worth the effort.
The club celebrated another milestone in 2014 with its 75th Jubilee, which was again a fun-filled event for past and current members.
The past decade has seen continual growth for all codes particularly Junior Rugby and the resurgence of women’s netball in 2022.
The ongoing resilience and adaptability of the club has current members incredibly excited to see what the future holds.







































